[oletrucks] remove

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] remove
From: "Madi" <madcreek@linkline.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 12:19:51 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "oletrucks-digest" <owner-ole-trucks@autox.team.net>
To: <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 11:06 AM
Subject: oletrucks-digest V2 #2121

<steve@OldSub.com>]
<hgarrison@sc.rr.com>]
<bairdr@charter.ne]
<bekett@uslink.net>]
<zman@gibbon.kungfumonkey.com>]
<alan@alanhorvath.com>]
<jforb@mindspring.com>]
<c_tom@bellsouth.net>]
[Mask1966@aol.com]
<DLLarson1@frontiernet.net>]
[Wdonohoe1@aol.com]
<c_tom@bellsouth.net>]
<Jim.Wilkerson@sas.co]
<bekett@uslink.net>]
<bekett@uslink.net]
>   Re: [oletrucks] front disc brakes  ["Jim (Deacon) and Karen Magill"
<dnkma]

> Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 10:22:02 -0800
> From: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
> Subject: Re: [oletrucks] front disc brakes
>
> I'm running front disks on my AD Suburban.  Used an inexpensive kit and
> provided my own rotors and calipers.  You need to install a dual master,
and
> add some brake plumbing to make it work.
>
> I described the process on my web site.  www.oldsub.com.
>
> It stops great, but does need more push on the peddle to operate.  I did
> recently need to stop real quick, and didn't have any trouble applying
> plenty of pressure.

Bought the bracket kit from Heavy Chevy http://www.heavychevy.com.  It was
actually made by Buffalo Enterprises http://www.inliners.org/buffalo/  This
kit uses mid 70's Checy/GMC 4WD 1/2 ton front calipers and rotors.  Rotors
mount directly to TF hubs using longer (supplied in the kit) lug bolts.  Kit
came with 3/16" 6 lug spacers to move the wheels out slightly.  I run 15"x7"
wheels from mid 70's 4x4 with 235/70 tires and did not need these spaces.
Maybe they are needed with stock wheels.

> I installed a dual chamber non-power boost master cylinder, also from
Heavy Chevy.  Only thing I did not like about it was that they don't tell
you where the master cylinder came from.  It is a bear checking/filling the
fluid reservoir.  If I were doing it again I'd look into using a master
cylinder with remote reservoirs.

> My truck has been my everyday driver for 14+ years.  The disk brakes have
been on for 4+ years.  They stop straight and with much better control than
the drums did.

disk/drum system, even with the proportioning valve.  Detroit always (I'm
sure someone will provide the exception) used a dual chamber system for
disk/drum cars and as cost sensitive as they are if they could have made it
work with the cheaper single chamber system they would have.

MC
> back for a refund and bought from FLAPS for less than half that price.  A
FLAPS
> [...]
> Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Cigarette lighter removal
>
> Patrick Sackrider wrote:
>
> > I've been stripping out the cab to get it sand blasted and repaired.
> > What the heck is holding the lighter unit in the dash?  This is a '54
> > Chevy.
>
> Hey, Pat
>
> Reach BEHIND the dash and lighter ... after removing the wire, grab
> a-hold of the lighter housing and unscrew it.  It's threaded from
> behind and the housing presses against the back of the dash, holding
> the lighter in place.
>
> Cool?
>
> Alan
> http://AlanHorvath.com/54chevy/
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 23:36:24 EST
> From: Wdonohoe1@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [oletrucks] front disc brakes
>
> In a message dated 12/3/03 12:35:59 PM Central Standard Time,
> bill.hanlon@hp.com writes:
> If I were doing it again I'd look into using a master cylinder with remote
> reservoirs.
> its not that hard to put in remote reservoirs there ia a thread on it int
he
> arcivies
>
> bill
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 06:10:41 -0500
> From: "Tom C." <c_tom@bellsouth.net>
> Subject: [oletrucks] water temp
>
> After driving 20 miles home from work yesterday, I checked the radiator
> reservoir, and it was a little low. I took the radiator cap off, it
sounded
> like it spewed out but it was very little. It made more noise than water
> spewing out. I was also able to stick my finger in the water and it was
not
> very hot. The water was warm but I could keep my finger in it. The temp
> gauge was about an 1/8th of the way from the cold mark, not even to the
200
> degree mark. It was very cool when I got home from work, around 38
degrees,
> but I thought the water temp would have been a little higher. More and
more
> I am thinking thermostat. It looks like an easy change, then I will take
it
> and get it flushed. I did see the water circulating, but it didn't seem
like
> very much movement. Maybe because the water was so cool. I am use to
seeing
> the water in my 55 circulate, it moves along rather quickly compared to
the
> 97. Have a nice day.
> Tom
> 55 TF
> 97 S-10
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 10:26:42 -0500
> From: "Jim Wilkerson" <Jim.Wilkerson@sas.com>
> Subject: [oletrucks] Windshield Washer Unit
>
> Does anyone out there have a windshield washer unit installed in their
restomod? I'd like to install a windshield washer reservoir and pump in the
well behind the seat in my '53 Chevy 1/2 ton. The problem is that the
reservoir/pump units you can buy at your local flaps look really cheap and I
don't think they could pump the fluid that far.  Ideally, I'd like to find a
reservoir/pump unit from an auto salvage - I just don't know what year, make
and model to look for.  Any ideas!

> [...]
> cheap
> >and I don't think they could pump the fluid that far.  Ideally,
> I'd like
> >to find a reservoir/pump unit from an auto salvage - I just don't know
> >what year, make and model to look for.  Any ideas!
> >
> >Thanks in advance!
> >
> >Jim W.

> EASY and FREE access to your email anywhere: http://Mailreader.com/

> Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 12:58:18 -0600
> From: "Jim (Deacon) and Karen Magill" <dnkmagill@wtxs.net>
> Subject: Re: [oletrucks] front disc brakes
>
> Do all master cyl. that are on drum brakes come with the built in 10#
residual
> valve? I ask because I switched to the dual master cyl. when I put in the
64
> front clip and now I am adding disc  brakes on the front from a  72
Chevelle. I