Re: [oletrucks] TF 4x4 conversion???

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] TF 4x4 conversion???
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:12:44 -0700
> There's a guy locally who has a 4x4 TF, it appears he used the original
> frame and springs, just added the later model axles under it with some
> blocks for lift.  I would think it wouldn't be all that difficult,
> considering the axles are under the springs to begin with.
>
> Devin

> Just trying to decide between using a late model 4x4 frame & running gear
>
> or adding the latemodel 4x4 components to my frame. Anyone with experience
> on this? If I use the existing frame would it be better to use the late
> model springs or rebuild the originals & use them?
>

>>> BK

I've been toying with the idea of turning a rough 56 Suburban I have
into a 4x4.  I built a 64 4x4 Suburban for a friend last year, it's a
real attention getter, and fun to drive, so now I want one....

Swapping axles would be easiest, and you only need blocks on the rear.
But I was also considering cutting the front of the frame off and using
the front frame section from a newer truck, probably from the 70s to mid
80s.  The later frames are narrow at the front, which gives more room
for power steering.  The problem with using a complete later model frame
is the "dip" in the center of the frame, you'd have to build cab mounts,
and the dip would look a bit odd.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!