Re: [oletrucks] Engine help

To: mlubitz@texas.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Engine help
From: Ie61pah@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:44:06 EST
In a message dated 12/21/03 7:50:25 PM Central Standard Time,
mlubitz@texas.net writes:

>   1.  What color should the engine and transmission be?  Any special paint
> that I should use that will last better than another?
>   2.  Anything that I should especially be cautioned about while dropping
> the engine in place?
>   3.  Is there anything that I should do to the tranny as long as everything
> is apart?
>   4.  Do I put the heads on first and then put the whole assembly in the
> engine compartment?
>   5.  The engine has sat for over five years.  It is clean and rust free.
> What do I do to it before starting it, if anything?  Is there anything that
> should do to the engine to prepare it to turn over like spray it with WD40
> or
> something?  Can I prime the engine somehow?
>   6.  What oil do I use?  When do I change the oil the first time?
>   7.  How should I drive it once it is running?

    Michael, When you say "fresh engine", I'm going to assume you mean a
rebuilt engine, rebored, new pistons/rings, cam, etc., etc.
 With that in mind, I'll try to answer most of your questions, but most
answers will be my opinion, and you'll find that everybody has one. Like so
many of
the things we do to our ole trucks, it mostly requires common sence, and
patiece. Don't get in a hurry to get it done, that's when mistakes happen.

1. There has been much debate on this list about this. As best as I know,
it's a grayish color with a green tint to it. Best thing to do is check out
Wayne's site at, www.chevytrucks.org . He has some very good articles written
about
this.
2. Again, don't be in a hurry. Make sure all wires, hoses, and everything
else is out of the way, and don't get caught on, or pinched off by sitting the
motor down in. Check your mounts, make sure they are in good shape, and not
bent, or worn. If your hoist is big enough, some guys like to put the engine
and
tranny in as one unit. (it's easier to do on the floor, than over head). These
engines and trannys are very heavy, make sure your hoist can handle it before
you get it over your truck, and have it fall.
3. Grab the input shaft and the tail shaft, and rock one of them back and
forth, to check for excessive play in the gears. If you are only going to drive
the truck part time, or unless the truck had excessive miles, you should be
okay. While it's out it would be a good time to change the oil in the tranny,
and
replace the seals and gaskets. (you don't want oil leaking on your "new
truck".
4. Yes, put the heads on. I would put the valve covers on, and tape over any
openings, like the exhaust ports, upper and lower water jackets, and the dist.
You don't want any dirt, nuts, bolts, or anything else falling into your new
engine, while you are handling it or hooking it up.
5. You can wipe on a LIGHT coating of engine oil on the cylinder walls before
you put on the heads. This will help protect the walls/rings from damage,
before the oil pressure comes up when first starting the engine. Cork gaskets
tend to dry out if not used. I would check the valve cover gaskets, and the oil
pan gasket before you put it in. Other than making sure your fuel lines are
clean and working, (fresh gas)?, and double checking all your connections,
there
really isn't any priming of the engine. If you have a fuel bowl, make sure you
have gas to it, and you can squirt a little into the carburetor to help it
start.
6. Personnel choice. I would use a 10W30 or 10W40, of a name brand oil. I
personally would change it after the first 1000 miles.
7. Drive it like you're going to drive it normally. I would avoid any real
high revs' at first, but give it a good range of RPM's. I would avoid taking it
out on the highway and driving at the same speed for a long time. After the
first 500 to 1000 miles, you should be good to go.

 I hope this helps. Don't go by just my opinion. Get others' opinions too,
and put them together, I may have missed somethings. Good Luck, and be safe,
(have someone helping you)

Pat Hollister
'58 step
West Burlington, IA.