Re: [oletrucks] Rear end Id Help

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Rear end Id Help
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:24:21 -0700
> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:47:17 -0600
> From: "Pat Cossey" <ccossey@seark.net>
> Subject: [oletrucks] Rear end Id Help
>
> Fellows I`m trying to locate a chunk for my truck but keep running into
> questions I can`t answer.
> My truck by the vin # is a 3/4 ton but has 6 lug axels.
>  Is this correct? I`m also told some of the early 70`s and late 60`s 3/4 tons
> are a direct swap of the chunk with mine??
> I don`t know squat about these things and need your insight.
> I did open the inspection plate this eve. and found this # on the ring gear
> GM   3652526       9-41   3   41
> Can any of you guys decode this or steer my to a sight I can find out about
> this?   Thanks!!
>
> Pat    67 Nova SS
>          41 Art  Deco chevy truck

Pat--

I have a 39 shop manual which shows that the 3/4 ton trucks had 6 lug
axles, although they had a longer wheel base than the 1/2 tons.  The
numbers look to me like 9-41 is the gear tooth count which would be a
4.56 ratio, and 3 41 is the date the gears were made, March 1941.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
http://www.mindspring.com/~jforbes2