Re: [oletrucks] steering glitch.

To: Skyhookroth@aol.com, ME1STKING@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] steering glitch.
From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:25:33 -0500
At 11:17 AM 2/17/04 -0500, Skyhookroth@aol.com wrote:
>If you have changed wheels, and they have different offsets that  original
>look for interference with the tie rod ends.

You'd have spotted this while trying to install the wheels as the tie rods
should be the same distance from the wheel at any point in the steering
curve. My guess is the steering wheel wasn't centered before connecting the
pitman arm linkage to the front end components. With the steering wheel
centered, the box should give you full swing left and right, then gotta
make sure the pitman arm is connected to the box in the correct position.
Removed the pitman arm, center the steering wheel by moving all the way to
left and right, count the turns and note the center position. Don't worry
about the actual wheel being positioned incorrectly as it can be removed to
get the spokes in the correct position. Have the front wheels point
straight ahead, with the steering wheel in center position of the movement,
then connect the pitman arm to the steering box. I own a TF truck and did
it this way when i rebuilt the steering box...
   The alignment guys would have had to have the wheel roughly a turn off
and make adjustment with the tie tod to point to that as the problem. You'd
also be able to look at the tie rod and see it being off center with more
threads on one side that the other.   Good luck --wayne