Re: [oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #2183

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #2183
From: Joe Way <joe@brakecylinder.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 12:38:34 -0800
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 18:36:23 +0000, you wrote:

>I just had a Denver outfit cut the split rims off of my 1950 GMC 3/4 ton
>wheels and weld on 16" tubeless rims and powder coat them and they work
>great and have the original centers so I still use the original hub caps.
>This will not solve a problem on wheels already done but for those of you
>who have not done anything yet you may have someone in your area who can do
>this.  I did all five wheels and went to 7" and reversed them and they look
>great and it was done for less than $500.00 total.
>
>I now need to find someone who might have five 7" rims for the 50 Chevy we
>have in the paint shop now.  They are 6 bolt and I want to have the original
>hubcaps mounted and will have to go the GMC route if I cannot find
>aftermarket rims of some kind which will mount the original hubcaps.  If
>anyone knows of an aftermarket source for these we would really appreciate
>it.
>
>Dave Shier
>Trinidad, Colorado
>Lots of Trucks mostly GM

=================
Rebuilding original wheels was Plan "A" for me, too. I talked to
Stockton Wheel in Stockton CA, an outfit that has a very good
reputation on the west coast. They said they couldn't give me the
amount of backset I needed to get the wheels under the fenders on the
late suspension.The original centers are too deep. The centers on the
Dog rims I used are quite shallow, giving a backset of almost 6".

I don't know of any aftermarket wheels that will take the original
hubcaps directly.

Joe
--
Heather & Joe Way