Re: [oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #2183

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #2183
From: "Bobby D Keeland" <bob_keeland@usgs.gov>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 08:29:12 -0600
I also am looking at using wheels with an appropriate backspacing to get
the wheels under the
fenders of my '51 3/4 ton. The front suspension is from an '83 silverado
1/2 ton. I don't really like
the idea of cutting the saddle in half to take out the 1 1/2 inches or so
and therefore will need
special wheels.   My question is what is the point of reference when
calculating backspacing?
Is it the middle of  the rim, the outside edge, etc. ??? For anyone who has
used the late 70s or
early 80s IFS in an  advanced design truck, did you have any problems with
clearance for the
tie rods, etc.? What  size wheels did you end up using?

BobK
51 3600 5-window (in pieces)
Arnaudville, LA

Rebuilding original wheels was Plan "A" for me, too. I talked to
Stockton Wheel in Stockton CA, an outfit that has a very good
reputation on the west coast. They said they couldn't give me the
amount of backset I needed to get the wheels under the fenders on the
late suspension.The original centers are too deep. The centers on the
Dog rims I used are quite shallow, giving a backset of almost 6".

I don't know of any aftermarket wheels that will take the original
hubcaps directly.