[oletrucks] just stuff for conversation

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] just stuff for conversation
From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:06:42 -0500
Well getting my new wheels on completed the rear end installation. The 2:73
gears may be a bit on the low site for the manual tranny, but the wife and
I can have a conversation in the truck now. The perky 327 has plenty of
torque for cruising around as it doesn't bog down at all. Nice to able to
get on the interstate and run 70 and not feel like the motor is about to
come apart, not to mention the noise reduction.
  I know most note that the pinion angle should point down about 3 degrees
while the spring pads are level, but I took an angle finder and set the
spring perches up the same on the donor rear as an original stock rear end
and the nose of the pinion gear is actually pointing up slightly. After
reading on some web sites, the angle of the pinion should be the same as
the angle of the tranny tailshaft to the driveshaft. Both are about the
same in my case as close as I can measure. So is the 3 degrees downward
angle correct if the driveline is completely straight? Under acceleration
the nose of the pinion should raise up and make the driveline complete
straight.
   I don't feel any vibration at al and just love the new gears... --wayne

Wayne Osborne
http://www.chevytrucks.org
http://www.chevytrucks.org/wayne