[oletrucks] Spinning Lug- advice sought

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Spinning Lug- advice sought
From: "Ryan Border" <ryan_border@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:26:47 -0600
Hi guys,
  I have a problem that I'm hoping somebody might have a solution for.
Basically, I have a wheel lug stud that is spinning in the brake rotor.
This is a Chevy 5-stud vented rotor.  I think what happened is that in my
haste to get my new wheels on the truck I spun the lug on cross threaded.
When I hit it with the impact wrench (I know, bad bad) to snug it up before
torque'ing it down, the threads grabbed and what gave was the stud/rotor
interface.  So now, the lug is spinning with the nut and I cannot tighten or
loosen it.

Of course the wheel has a center-cap installed, so I can't disassemble at
the bearing (without putting a cutter to the center cap and sacrificing the
center-cap to get at the bearing nut.

The only option I see (and it's probably not as bad as it sounds, since I
have a need to take this all apart anyway) is to break it down at the
ball-joints and take the whole assembly (wheel, stub-axle/upright, caliper)
to a machine shop.  But before going down that road, I thought I'd see if
there were any 'Ol-timer tricks for this situation I haven't thought of.

Anybody know if there are "oversize" lug studs available for this situation?
Or, am I likely shopping for a new rotor?  This one is brand new- has never
been run: I'd hate to have to sacrifice it.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe-
Ryan.
55 2nd Pro-street.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary
numbers and those who don't.