Re: [oletrucks] (NON-TRUCK QUESTION)

To: bigfred@unm.edu
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] (NON-TRUCK QUESTION)
From: zman <zman@gibbon.kungfumonkey.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:01:16 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 bigfred@unm.edu wrote:
> Sounds to me like the tach is set up for a 2-stroke motor.
> See if there is a way to configure it for a 4-stroke motor.
>
> If the tach thinks it is reading for a 2-stroke, it will show the same
> number of RPM as there are sparks. So if the motor is spinning at 3000
> RPM, the motor (since it is a 4 stroke) will be sparking every other
> rotation of the crank or 1500 SPM (sparks per minute) = 1/2 motor RPM.
> Since the tach thinks the motor is a 2-stroke, it will show 1500 RPM.

Actually there is no difference between a 2-stroke and a 4-stroke tach.
Most all 4-strokes fire on both strokes, though they make power on only
one. Where the 2-stroke makes power every stroke. The reason I said that
it was most likely a 4-6-8 switch is because it reads it from the coil and
not a particular plug wire.

--
Scott H. Zekanis
zman@kungfumonkey.com