Re: [oletrucks] Paint problems

To: mark treutelaar <phoneman@ticon.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Paint problems
From: zman <zman@gibbon.kungfumonkey.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:11:49 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, mark treutelaar wrote:
> Hi I live in Wisconsin . Lots of moisture here. My main problem has to do with
> clean metal parts . Ive primed parts with etching primer and had them rust up
> in less than one year before I could get my truck back together . Is there a
> primer that will stop this problem. I need something that will last for maybe
> 3 years. Any suggestions would be welcome . It is very disheartening to get my
> parts to a nice white metal only to see them rust up . A lot of time is being
> wasted and money

It is the nature of primer to pull paint into it. This also means it will
pull moisture and rust from under the primer. I use a combination of
things to treat parts that are going to be sitting around for a while.
Larger body panels and such I shoot with DP90 epoxy primer, this will seal
them up and keep them from rusting. If it's part of the undercarriage or
frame I use POR-15. If it's just a small part for the engine or elsewhere
I just hit it with a spray can primer, then a spray can enamel. Hope this
helps.

--
Scott H. Zekanis
zman@kungfumonkey.com