Re: [oletrucks] 350-305 sb chevy crank

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 350-305 sb chevy crank
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:29:54 -0700
> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 15:10:02 -0600
> From: "Gary R. Schwarzrock" <gschwarz@airtimeisp.net>
> Subject: [oletrucks] 350-305 sb chevy crank
>
> Can any of you wrench turners tell me if a 305 chevy crank can be safely
> used "as is" in a 350 engine?  All the chevy reference material shows the
> same casting numbers for both, but I've been told that each crank would have
> been balanced for the first engine that it was used in whether that was a
> 350 or a 305.  On the other hand I've also been told that the balance job
> done on most factory engines is not that accurate so it probably wouldn't
> make that much difference anyway.  Thanks for any input.

The 305 and 350 crank castings are the same, but they are
machined differently, one of them (I believe the 350) has
holes drilled longways throught the journals to lighten
them, because the pistons are heavier.  So you can use a 305
crank "as is" in a 350, but the engine will shake because it
will be out of balance!

Get a 350 crank, they can't be that hard to find, I have a
few laying around here....

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum at it's new home!
http://www.selectric.org