Re: [oletrucks] Engine paint

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Engine paint
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:36:41 -0700
> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 19:57:17 -0500
> From: "mark treutelaar" <phoneman@ticon.net>
> Subject: [oletrucks] Engine paint
>
> I just bought a corvette engine for my truck . Its a 350 thats 30 over . New
> pistons new  crank  -new everything . The main engine is chevy orange . And
> there is lots of new chrome . My question is --- What color would be
> reccommended for the waterpump , pulleys ect ?  Thanks once again . Mark

I paint engines black, because that keeps them from leaking
oil (ok, they still leak, but you can't see it).  But back
to your question--

Chevy spray painted the engine block, heads, manifold, pan,
valve covers, and water pump (all the same color) after the
engine was assembled.

The brackets, pulleys, etc. were painted black, with a dip
process, then later bolted onto the engine.

The only exceptions to this that I know of is that on early
engines the generator brackets were bolted to the engine and
painted engine color.

Since you're not putting an original engine in the truck,
you'll just have to decide what looks best.  If you have the
chance to look at other people's engines (such as at a car
show) or pictures in magazines or on the internet, you can
decide what looks best to you.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum at it's new home!
http://www.selectric.org