RE: [oletrucks] AD front end rebuild

To: larburnett@cox.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] AD front end rebuild
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:39:22 -0500
Larry:
Depends on what you plan to do with the truck, what your funds are, and etc.
  I have a '56 Stepside that had the original front end when I bought it.
The prevous owner had new kingpins and bushings installed, and as I drove
the truck I did things like new shocks, new brakes, rebuilt the front
springs, power steering and etc.  I probably spent $500 to $700 over a
couple of years, but even after all that, I wasn't happy with the ride,
steering, and braking.  So, I decided to go the independant front suspension
(IFS) route.  I could have bought a front clip off another car or truck, for
a few hundred dollars but I didn't like the idea of remounting every thing
to the new frame forward of the cab.  Also, while front clips are cheaper,
they most often require new ball joints, shocks, brakes and such,  When
you're done, you may have spent as much as buying an IFS built for the
truck.

This spring I bought a Total Cost Involved (TCI) IFS designed for my truck.
Depending on how you want to option it (power rack steering, 11 inch disk
brakes, sway bar), you could spend between $1300 to $2000 but everything is
new and designed for your truck.  At first I thought I would remove not only
the front sheetmetal (fenders, hood and etc.), but the engine and tranny
too.  A friend helping me suggested I leave the engine/tranny in and try
putting the IFS in around it.  We did it, took some extra time but was alot
better than pulling and then reinstalling the engine and trans.  I'm doing
other work at the same time (new rear suspension and rear end, new bed
wood), and I'm not done yet so I can't tell you how its all worked out but I
expect the truck to ride, handle and stop alot better.  Dont' forget that
while changing front suspensions, you'll usually wind-up buying new wheels
too (I did, went from 6-lug to 5-lug rims).

Bottom line, if you want original rebuild what you have (many vendors sell
the necessary parts and some minor upgrades).  If cost is a concern and
you're good at fabricating and fitting sheetmetal, do a front clip.  If you
want piece of mind and have the money, buy an IFS made for the truck.

Sorry for the lengthy reply. Hope this helps.  Whatever you do, have fun and
make it safe!!

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup
Pontiac, IL

>From: "Larry Burnett" <larburnett@cox.net>
>To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
>Subject: [oletrucks] AD front end rebuild
>Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:52:46 -0400
>
>Hi Ole Truckers,
>This may seem like a rookie question, but then again, that's what I am.
>I've had my 50 AD 3100 for nearly a year, and haven't had the time,
>money, or even the knowledge to get started.  It's in pretty decent
>shape, and since I don't have a shop, I'm going the rebuild route, and
>plan on using it as a part time driver, while still working on various
>portions.
>
>Anyway, the first order of business I need to do is the front end.  The
>king pins are shot, as is the pitman arm and tie rods.  So my question
>is what do I need to buy (from Brothers or another Chevy truck parts
>place), and do any of you have tips and/or advice you could throw my
>way?
>
>-Larry

Premium!