Re: [oletrucks] Sheet metal gauge?

To: Spencer <wits_end@worldnet.att.net>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Sheet metal gauge?
From: Jim Nordwall <jimnordwall@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:26:21 -0700 (PDT)
--- Spencer <wits_end@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Hi, All.
>
> I need to buy sheet metal for somesmall patches on
> my cab floor.  What
> thickness/gauge should I buy?
>
> Also, I'm planning to tack weld some reinforcement
> sheet metal to the
> underneath side of the floor for seat belt
> attachment points.  I'm thinking
> a six inch by six inch square ought to do the trick.
>  Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks.
> Harry Spencer
> Reno, NV
> 1955 AD Chevy

I am not sure about the floor thickness, but when I
chased down information on new bed sides for my 50, I
found that they were 18 ga. from the factory. My guess
is that the floor is no more than 18 gauge.

When I put seat belts in my truck I used 3"x 3" 1/8
inch plate with a nut welded to it for ease of
assembly. The pictures I saw of commerical kits showed
similar pieces. If you look at factory installations,
most don't come close to this. The donor truck I got
my belts from just doubled the sheet metal for about a
3" square.

=====
Jim Nordwall

 http://bluetruck.home.mchsi.com