Re: [oletrucks] Sheet metal gauge?

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Sheet metal gauge?
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:20:43 -0700
> Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 05:59:01 -0700
> From: "Spencer" <wits_end@worldnet.att.net>
> Subject: [oletrucks] Sheet metal gauge?
>
> Hi, All.
>
> I need to buy sheet metal for somesmall patches on my cab floor.  What
> thickness/gauge should I buy?

The floor and other inner panels will be about 18 gage,
you'll want cold rolled so it'll weld easily.

> Also, I'm planning to tack weld some reinforcement sheet metal to the
> underneath side of the floor for seat belt attachment points.  I'm thinking
> a six inch by six inch square ought to do the trick.  Any thoughts?

That would be plenty big, if you use thick enough metal,
such as 16 gage (1/16") up to 11 gage (1/8").  The companies
that sell aftermarket seat belts usually include a 2.5"
diameter washer that's about 16 gage, they conside that
sufficient reinforcement.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum at it's new home!
http://www.selectric.org