Re: [oletrucks] electrics

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] electrics
From: Alan Horvath <alan@alanhorvath.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:26:02 -0400
ME1STKING@aol.com wrote:

> Alan: This word 'relay' baffles me a little.  I did install a voltage
> reducer.  Is this what you have in mind?Brooks

No.  A relay takes the electrical load off the switch itself.

Here's an excerpt from MadElectrical.com (my favorite source for
electrical info):

Mostly, we use relays as heavy duty, remote control switches.  A main
power wire delivers full power into the relay.  The relay is switched
"ON" with only a very small amount power, then it "relays" (sends
onward) a big "load" of full power directly to the accessory.

Headlights, electric radiator fans, fuel pumps, air conditioning, and
driving lights are all examples of power hungry systems, which are at
their best when powered-up by relays.

Using a relay can short-cut power delivery, which prevents the voltage
drop associated with lengthy wiring circuits.  Without relays, power
will be routed from under the hood, to the dash area, through dash
wiring and switches, and back under the hood to the partA lengthy
circuit indeed!  The alternator is the source of power, and it is
mounted on the front of the engine.  It's sensible to mount relays up
front and let them send full power to lights, radiator fans, and other
accessories.  The relay also provides circuit isolation, and prevents
overloading existing wiring and switches.

Lights are brighter, fans are more powerful, and in general everything
works better with RELAYS.

Electrical parts are designed for best performance at 14 volts --
RELAYS deliver a full 14 volts.

You can see some very cool applications I've applied to my truck at my
site:

Mad Electrical Improvements:
http://www.alanhorvath.com/54chevy/mad_electrical.php

Wiring An Electric Fan w/TWO Relays
http://www.alanhorvath.com/54chevy/mad_electrical_2.php

Headlight Relays
http://www.alanhorvath.com/54chevy/headlight_relays.php

Wiring Dome Light via Door Switches Using A Relay
http://www.alanhorvath.com/54chevy/domelight_relay.php

Alan
http://AlanHorvath.com/54chevy/