[oletrucks] Steering box grease delimna

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Steering box grease delimna
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <bill.hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:42:23 -0500
As previously noted in this forum, GM part # 1052182 (Mr. Goodwrench
Steering Gear Lubricant) is no longer available.  I have contacted
Citgo, Exxon-Mobil and 2 local lubricant suppliers in an attempt to find
grade 0 grease to fill the steering box I am rebuilding.  Mobilith AW-0
exactly matches the stuff that is called for in the GMC Maintenance
manual and is available from local suppliers.  The trick is that the
smallest container available is a 5 gallon tub @ $56 forty miles away.

Does anyone out there know where I can get a smaller amount of grade 0
grease?

By the way, list member Nate was right on the money about the sector
shaft seal.  It is still available from GM as part number 7801626 at
about $14 a pop.  There were only 2 dealers in Texas that had one on the
shelf.  Federal-Mogul (National Seal) part # 313842 was available in the
local warehouse for my FLAPS, was delivered that afternoon and cost
$6.49.  This is a "rubber" seal, not like the felt seal I removed from
the steering box.  The GM part is also a "rubber" seal.