Re: [oletrucks] spark plugs...

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] spark plugs...
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:58:25 -0700
> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:41:43 -0700 (PDT)
> From: mark@noakes.com
> Subject: [oletrucks] spark plugs...
>
> I'd like to ask for comments on spark plug selection.

> High stress hp applications take a colder plug; low stress low compression
>applications
> take a hotter plug so I guess that R43TS is the hot plug and R45TS is the
>cold end of
> the range, correct?

As someone else mentioned, colder are lower number, hotter
is higher number.  I'd recommend either R44TS or R45TS,
probably start with 44 and if it tends to get the plugs dark
then move up to a 45.

> Any comments on brands/configurations?  I was going to try something like the
>Bosch
> platinums or multi electrodes but from looking on the internet it appears
>that there is
> no advantage to any of these.  Just go with plain old AC?  I run the Bosch in
>the vette,
> but maybe it was my imagination that they were better?

I'd use plain old AC plugs, but you may want to try platinum
if you go to some type of high perf ignition such as an MSD.
  You could probably hide the MSD box up under the dash, and
the points should last for a long time, as there would be
very little current thru them.  I've had an MSD 6A amplifier
on my blower motor for 15 years, no problems with it
(although it's triggered by an aftermarket magnetic pickup
distributor instead of points).

I would definitely shy away from the Unilite setup, I've
seen way too many problems with them dying in the middle of
nowhere.  Pertronix has a better rep, but points are just
fine if you maintain them, and if you run an ignition
amplifier you don't have to worry about maintenance as much.

> It looks like most (all?) plug options for this engine are resistor type.
>While this
> does cut EMI radio interference, it also cuts voltage to the spark plug if
>you aren't
> running an HEI distributer...which I'm not.  Any comments here?

The resistor plugs let the voltage build up higher before
the spark happens, which works out better for many
reasons...use resistor plugs, and resistor wires.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum at it's new home!
http://www.selectric.org