[oletrucks] ac in a tf

To: oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [oletrucks] ac in a tf
From: Keith V Durand <kdurand@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:31:18 -0500
The almost easy solution would be to use an aftermarket evaporator and get the
rest of the stuff at a junkyard, that is, the compressor and brackets.
Absolutely buy the reciever drier new.

The R5 compressor isn't known for its reliabilty. These are the pancake looking
ones. The good ol' A6 is built like a tank, but I am unsure of its compatibilty
with R134a. They also tended to spray oil.

A lot of this depends on what refrigerant you want to use. The cost of R12 has
gotten out of hand, and is probably 30-40 dollars a pound. You will need about
3 pounds.

There are also other little nuances. Should you grab a system that uses a
cycling clutch/orifice tube setup, you will need pressure switches to control
the evaporator pressure. You will also need the accumulator on the suction side
of the compressor. Aftermarket units tend to use expansion valves, which are a
much older technology. Other than screwing up sometimes and getting stuck,
expansion valves are superior from a control standpoint.

An A/C shop can make your hoses for whatever you need. If you use 134a, get
barrier hose. The connections will also have to be different (by law).

I've been wanting to get AC in my truck, but I decided to eventually get an
aftermarket evaporator rather than try to adapt something. I am not a fan of
the crappy looking plastic vents under the dash though, so I will probably get
creative and put some serious metal vents in the dash. Surely some musclecar
has a respectable looking in dash vent.

Keith