[oletrucks] disc brake progress

To: oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [oletrucks] disc brake progress
From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:28:23 -0500
Yesterday I got out and got the master cylinder mounted--after taking off
and on 5-6 times i got pretty proficient at it. Appears one of the bolt
heads holding the bracket adapter to the frame was interfering with one of
the clips you flip to take the top off of the master cylinder after the m/c
was mounted to the bracket. So I basically removed a bit of the material on
the bolt head to make room. All is mounted and ready to start the line runs
and will take all advice to run separate lines to the front wheels as the
proportioning valve is mounted directly below the m/c, so it'll be just as
easy or difficult depending on your views. I still have to mount the new
bearing and all the front hub components. I also removed the tie rod ends
and have discovered more worn out items, the ball on the end of the
steering are has a very large groove worn where the cups on the tie rods
ends have eaten into it over the many years. The tie rod end cup on the
outside has turned a bit and was bound up so it wasn't a good mechanical
connection. So i'll be ordering the new tie rods ends to remedy this and
will finally feel the pain of removing the old balls from the steering
arms. I feel as though I've made leaps and bounds of progress toward
getting the ole girl to steer and handle better and truly cannot wait to
feel the "new" feel of it.  The drag links was replaced a couple years ago
and after clearing the old grease from the kingpins and freeing them
up--again i'm amazed at how free the spindles move now--so this will make
for a complete rebuilt on the front end, minus the kingpins which were
fine. Can't wait to get it back "on the road again" as Mr. Nelson would
exclaim.
   Ya know while working on these ole trucks and removing things that have
probably not been removed since it was produced, I sit an ponder the
production line worker who installed all these items and wonder what kind
of person they were, if it was an older or a young fellow, and it just
takes me back a bit!!!!      --wayne

Wayne Osborne
http://www.chevytrucks.org
http://www.chevytrucks.org/wayne