[oletrucks] rear main seal on 216

To: Ole-Chevy-Truck Post <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: [oletrucks] rear main seal on 216
From: Will Nelle <wmnelle@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 06:32:10 -0800 (PST)
As much as I would like to proceed with installing the transmission and getting
my truck in driving shape, my better judgement tells me that I ought to take
the time to change out the rear main seal and drop my oil leak to a tolerable
level.  My preferance is to use a molded rubber seal as I have heard they
further reduce leaks (over the rope seals).  I know they are available for the
235, but not sure about the 216.  It could be that the two engines have the
same dimensions in the rear seal area, allowing use of the 235 rubber seal on
the 216.  Can anyone confirm this for me?

Will Nelle
Longview, TX
'51 Chevy 3600