RE: [oletrucks] Engine swap

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Engine swap
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:36:37 -0700
> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:36:24 -0800
> From: "SCH (OldSub)" <Steve@oldsub.com>
> Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Engine swap
>
> '54 and '55 1st crossmembers take an angled mount, the same as later
> pickups.  The '47 - '53 have a flat spot for the mount.
>
> I don't know when Chevy quit using a bellhousing mount on manual
> transmission trucks.  I have a bellhousing from a mid-60's truck and have
> test fit it, so I know it will work.
>
> Does anyone know when Chevy quit using that same mount?  I'd be curious.

The V8 bellhousing that bolts to the crossmember with angled mounts
was used from 55-72.  The 68-72 trucks with the 4 speed trans had a
larger hole in the bellhousing to accomodate the SM465 tranny, so this
bellhousing won't work properly with the earlier SM420 tranny.

If someone needs one of these bellhousings, let me know, I have a few
laying around still.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!