[oletrucks] Engine swap

To: <oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Engine swap
From: "Gary Gittleson" <overtime@warwick.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:30:12 -0500
Hello all,

I am new to this group so please bear with me.

I recently bought a "52 3/4 ton" which really turns out to be most likely a
'50 3/4 ton. It's ok. I like the truck.

Anyhow, my plan is to swap in a 350 and use it as a real truck. It would get 2
or 3000 miles per year but some of it would be pulling a 2-horse trailer. Feel
free to tell me I'm crazy.

I want to change as little as possible, with nothing noticeable without
opening the hood. No lowered front end. No car front end. No automatic. No
tilt. No fancy dash. I will change to 12 volt and convert to electric wipers.
Maybe it will need a beefed-up radiator. I suppose I will have to change the
rear end ratio. Carter's has a 4.10 for the 3/4 ton. I would need the front
motor mount, which I would get from Chevy Duty. They said I would need the
rear as well but I don't see why, since I'm not going to automatic (no way!).
It all seems almost too easy. I read that I can use the same starter,
flywheel, clutch etc. I know, the starter is 6 volt but I don't think that
will matter. It just makes them spin faster. I have another 52 with 235, 12
volt and a 6 volt starter. Same in my Ford 9N tractor. No problem.

Do any of you have thoughts (besides "we shoot anyone who modifies Chevy
trucks.") or suggestions? Am I missing something important? Is there a website
that might help?

Thanks

Gary