Re: [oletrucks] offset rearend

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] offset rearend
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 19:35:02 -0700
> When you offset the rearend on 47-53 Chevy trucks to center the tires in the
> fender, is the rearend moved toward the front 2 1/2" or rearward? I've had the
> bed off my truck for a long time and I don't remember which way it shoud go.

Don--

The tires are not off that far, so it'll look kind of funny if you
move the tires back 2-1/2".  If you look carefully at the shape of the
rear fenders, you'll see the radius at the top of the fender IS
centered over the tire, even though the bottom of the fender opening
is behind the center of the tire.

My advice is to put the bed on the frame, then see if the tires are
actually centered in the upper part of the fender, and if so, leave it
as is.  The Chevy stylists back then had a pretty good idea of what
they were doing, if you can appreciate the subtleties of the design.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
http://www.selectric.org