[oletrucks] off topic: moving towards the dark side---> Ford

To: mark@noakes.com
Subject: [oletrucks] off topic: moving towards the dark side---> Ford
From: "Mark Noakes" <mark@noakes.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 16:42:06 -0800
In a fit of temporary insanity, I have committed heresy and bought a Ford, but
at least it's a derivative Ford and not a Ford Ford.  It's a 1974 Lotus Europa
John Player Special, #168 out of 200 made.  I found it on "that on-line auction
site" but it turned out to be located less than 5 miles from my house.  I'm
having a hard time believing this, but the Lotus groups are telling me that
there are only 6 of these cars accounted for in the world, which makes it
slightly rare...I would have guessed 20 - 40.  I'm sure that there are more
around; just that they are put away and no one is saying where.  Acutally, I'll
be storing mine at an undisclosed location as well.  This is a project car
(like I needed another one of those) so don't be too appalled at the seller's
pictures located at:

http://blog.mark.noakes.com/blog/Photos/Vehicles/1974LotusEuropaJPS

I'll get some pictures of my own posted ASAPractical once I start tearing into
it and documenting what is there.

The JPS cars were all black with gold pin stripes like the winning Formula 1
cars they commemorate.  The configuration is a mid-engine 2 seat sports car.
Older Europas had a Renault engine but the JPS cars and other Europa Specials
used a 1.6 liter big valve double overhead cam Ford Cosworth engine hooked up
to a 5 speed transaxle.  Because they only weigh about 1600 lbs, they are
pretty fast despite the small engine.

My intentions are to clean it up, get it in storage, and get it documented as
to what is what and where until I can get it in my restoration queue...there
are several vehicles ahead of it at the moment.  I tend to prefer to modify my
vehicles but I'm afraid that this one should be done straight stock.  Maybe
some day, Jay Leno will want to buy it.

Mark Noakes

Personal, hobby, enthusiast vehicles, work/school, nature/travel/art
photography located at:

http://blog.mark.noakes.com/

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice
there is usually a difference."