Re: [oletrucks] getting a new title

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] getting a new title
From: "Paul A. Thomas" <bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 15:34:49 -0700
Hi Tim.

        I went back into the archives of a Military Vehicle list I used to
frequent.  With old MV's this problem comes quite often as the MV's
filter into civilian hands in many varied ways. The name that stuck in
my mind was Broadway Title.. However in pulling up the quotes below from
the archives ( of the past year roughly ) I find that the title service
companies are now under intense scrutiny. Still, you might consider it.
For years they were able to provide a clean title from another state
after you had spent hundreds of hours trying to find someone in your
states DMV with half a brain. No, really. <g>
        Best of luck to ya.

                Paul

Hello all,
  I'm buying a 54 Chevy panel truck from fellow oletrucker Mark in
Northern California.  The truck has no title, which seems to pose some
problems when it comes to registering it.  Can anyone offer advice on
registering it and getting a new title made up in either California
(where the truck is) or Washington State (where I live)?

Thanks, and happy 4th!

Give Broadway Title, Birmingham AL a call: 1-800-464-3222 Visit their
site at: http://users.aol.com/fordmoval/broadway.html

What is the current status with titles in this country...?? I know
that California was considering revoking some titles cut after they
found out about places like Broadway title. Did that actually happen?

What about title acceptance in other states? Where does bill of sale
transfer still work? I know that Ohio is a real stickler about title
transfers having dealt with an untitled boat from Kentucky about 10
years ago. A $300 boat was going to cost me at least $500 to title,
since a lawyer was required in Ohio to present the case to the judge.
What a bunch of BS. I ended up bribing (literally - cash up front) the
last registered owner in Kentucky. 6 months, $250, and about 40 hours
of work laterI had a good title.

I now live in Indiana and they seem more reasonable, depending on the
phase of the moon, who I am talking to, how busy they are, and on and on

At one time, places like Broadway could fix title problems. It sounds
like that no longer works for New Jersey at least.

What have you guys seen in other states.

Dave - with a couple of untitled vehicles..

******************************

Hi
I think you ought to read the following link:
http://www.caag.state.ca.us/newsalerts/2004/04-042.htm

All the title services seem to be involved in this now. CA has brought
the house of cards down on that stuff. A lot of people were registering
all kinds of vehicles, which were not MV's by the way, fraudulently.
All the states are now backtracking through the registrations from the
past five years to find any title searches that link to any of the title
companies and are putting them under the magnifying glass.

If you use the title company method, you must make sure that:

1. The vehicle is actually transferred legally and "physically" from
one owner to the next. Must have documentation of this for all sales.

2. That the vehicle ID numbers are OK going back through the chain of
owners.

3. That the sale price is actually equal to or higher that actual value
for each sale.

4. That you have a receipt for sales taxes paid at each step of the way
to all states involved.

5. If you have been following the Humvee investigation in CA, they are
backtracking all of those high value, "high profile", newsworthy
vehicles all the way back to AM General now. Stay tuned.

6. This is serious stuff guys... Jail, probation, huge fines and atty
bills. I would not want to see someone fall victim to this. Do it
right.

Later

Glenn