Re: [oletrucks] carburetor and straight axle

To: Leon Corley <lcorley@ticnet.com>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] carburetor and straight axle
From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:21:28 -0400
That's what makes these things so much fun to drive--lol...
Sounds like you've replaced all the components, i've done the same to mine
and still had a bit of wandering with mine as well. You didn't mention if
you were running radial tire--that helps a bit with the vehicle wanting to
wander the road while driving and also the front end alignment.The tire
shop guys have fun when ya pull one of these into the bay as they generally
only know 4 wheel alignments and can't call up a 56 on their computer. I
had the guys align mine to about a 1/4 inch of toe in and that seemed to
stop the truck from darting when hitting a small bump in the road. At the
same time I went from 8 inch to 7 inch rims going down in tire size, I also
installed disc brake with the roller bearings so I was able to minimize the
play a bit but still have some there...   Doing all that at the same time
sure do put a bit of stability in the steering but I still have an inch or
so of play in the wheel motion.   Just telling ya what I've done to attempt
to remedy...  --wayne