RE: [oletrucks] New Garage - Heating

To: dcvjrv@comcast.net, old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] New Garage - Heating
From: "K Ohlgren" <kjohlgren@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:37:19 +0000
Jim
I too live in SE MI, (Novi) heat is very important!!! you don't say if you
want to heat all the time or just when your in the shop. my barn is 46 x 50
with 30 x 50 upstairs. I wouldn't dare try to heat the whole thing for any
reason. I have a 20 x 30 section that is insulated & sheetrocked. it has a
100,000 btu house furnace in there (meet Mr overkill), I keep the thermostat
at 40 all winter and bump it up to 60 when I'm working in there. There is a
second 20 x 30 garage bay that I can heat by opening a set of double doors.
the rest is not heated, fair weather use or storage only.
as much as it hurts, I'd recomend partitioning an area to heat and sheet
rock/ insulate the ceiling & walls. any heat you have is currently going
stait up to the rafters, I use temporary plastic walls in the garage bay. my
neighbor has a 40 x 60 shop with wood heat & no interior walls or ceiling.
with the stove stoked the only heat available is 5 ft away from the stove.
if your heating just when you work out there be prepared for rust and lots
of it. with everything so cold and then you heat the air, any moisture in
the air will condense on all metal surfaces. I've had tool box drawers with
puddles in them and rust on every machined surface, table saws, drill press,
etc. avoid ventless gas heaters; they discharge heat, CO2 & water vapor,
that water vapor condenses everywhere.
we live in an extreme climate, it takes extreme measures to work outside.

Kurt
58 3100 Apache project
the "Duracell Project" it keeps going... and going...