[oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #2587

To: "ole trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #2587
From: "J Forbes" <jforbspam@fastmail.fm>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 00:49:52 -0700
> Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:11:53 -0600
> From: R Baird <bairdr@charter.net>
> Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Bellhousing or transmission measurements ? ? ?
>
> Early 6 cyl. and V8 were different the bolt pattern to engine was
> different it was not until the 230 6 cyl. in 63 that the bolt pattern
> was the same as for the 3 seed and 4 speed the hole in the bell housing
> was the same size
>
> the early V8 3 speed and compound sm420 and sm465 4 speed were the same
> size used the same input shaft in the transmission
> It changed in the 1 ton or 3/4 ton they used a bigger input shaft !/2
> ton was all the same

Robert--

Little correction here, just so someone else doesn't make the same
mistake I made once!  The SM420 and SM465 are different, the front
bearing retainer on the 465 is a little bit bigger diameter, so the
bellhousing for 68 (?) to 72 is different, it has a larger hole in it.
This was the case with 1/2 ton trucks as well as the bigger ones.  I
have a few trannys and bellhousings laying around here, all 1/2 ton
stuff, and this seems to be how they did it.

Jim
--
  J Forbes
  jforbspam@fastmail.fm