RE: [oletrucks] motor storage question

To: c_tom@bellsouth.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] motor storage question
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:21:21 -0600
Tom: In reply to your question, how long since the motor and tranny ran
last?  If it's been awhile and you still can, I'd suggest changing the
engine oil and filter and firing everything up until the engine is at
operating temperature (thermostat opens).  This gives the new oil a chance
to coat all the internal parts and wash away any old oil.

If it's been a long time for the tranny oil, may want to consider doing the
same.  If they are going to be stored some time (typically more than 3
months), the old oils can have dirt and byproducts (mild acids) that could
damage critical surfaces.

You didn't mention whether the motor and tranny would be in cold storage. If
so, make sure the engine block is drained or that you have good antifreeze
in the block.  Cap and tape all the fluid lines and consider wrapping the
engine to keep dirt and debris out.

Hope this helps.  Good luck with your suspension mods.  Did the same 2 years
ago and it was a real learning experience.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside
Hopewell, IL