[oletrucks] RE: lowering 57 stepside

To: teebearry@comcast.net
Subject: [oletrucks] RE: lowering 57 stepside
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:41:03 -0600
Tony:
Sorry to take so long in replying to your question below.  I really have no
experience with how to lower a stock rear suspension.  I suspect that
removing leaves on the rear would have little/no effect due to the fact that
the rear springs are much stiffer for carrying the bulk of any loads.
Removing too many leaves would probably have a bad effect on the handling,
traction and braking characteristics of the vehicle.

I know that some folks have swapped the spring mounts from the top of the
axle tube to underneath, but they usually also replace the stock springs
with monoleaf style springs.  I'd suggest you post your question to the
mailing list members and see what they have to say.  There are a lot of
great enthusiasts out there that have 'done-that', know someone who has, or
might know of a suspension website with advice and details.

Good Luck with your '57, sorry I could be more helpful.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup
Hopewell, IL