RE: [oletrucks] IFS Install

To: slstusmc@yahoo.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] IFS Install
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 11:39:33 -0500
Steve:
Three years ago I installed a TCI IFS in my '56.  I agree with all the
centerline, but want to pass-on a couple of experiences I had with the
install and subsequent problems.

1.)  Be especially careful when locating the upper shock tower mounts.  I
carefully measured mine three times before welding them in and still had
problems with alignment.  After they were installed and everything hooked
up, I took it to a front end alignment place and found I had the towers too
narrow.  I couldn't get enough adjustment out of the slots for the upper A
arms to get everything within spec.  I wound up grinding the slots wider,
but still did not get enough adjustment.  I'm barely within spec because of
this.

2.) I had a friend weld in the lower crossmember and uppershock towers.  In
my zeal to have a clean looking installation I ground the welds to clean
them up.  Turns out the lower crossmember has had cracks in the welds on
both sides and one of the shock towers came dangerously close to separating
from the frame.  I think in retrospect that the weld penetration wasn't deep
enough combined with me grinding away too much.

I learned two things from this:
a.) Don't overgrind structural welds to make them look pretty.
b.) Unless you are an accomplished welder and confident of your skills,
consider having a professional weld-in your crossmembers.
The last thing you want is something coming loose while your traveling 60-70
MPH down the road.

In my case, I took the truck to a professional street rod shop and had them
inspect, grind a re-weld  all the critical areas.  I also drilled a 1/2 inch
hole through the top shock towers to the bottom frame rail and installed
grade 8 bolts in case I had any future fatigue weld fractures with the
towers (kind of a band-aid fix, but I didn't want everything coming loose at
once while driving).

Sorry for the lengthy reply.  Hope this information helps.  Good Luck with
your install!!

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup
Hopewell, IL