RE: [oletrucks] Engine Questions

To: "Kiel Parkinson" <InsanityIsBorn@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Engine Questions
From: "Mike Baggese" <passnb4u@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:55:14 -0700
Hey Kiel,

  First you need to consider your budget.  Next consider how much time you
have to get it going.  There's not a whole lot of economy differences
between a V8 (assuming a mild build) and n i6 in these older trucks, until
you start looking at EFI setups and such, carb vs carb, you won't feel much
difference in the pocket book.

Keep in mind an engine swap to another family of engines, i/e V8, is more
than just getting the motor, you have mounts, hoses, belts, exhaust,
accessories, bellhousing, etc to consider.

If it were me, and I was on a limited budget, and wanted the truck back on
the road as soon as possible, I'd look for another 250 in good running
shape and just swap it.  If I had more money and time, I'd be looking at
going with a V8...more money after that, I'd be thinking OD tranny.

Then I'd want AC, fancy wheels, new paint, redo ythe interior, put a new
bed in, etc., etc,..next thing ya know I'd be 25K poorer, 3 years
behind...but I'd have a nice truck:)

PS, if you're close to No. Cal (Oakdale), I have a 350 V8 and TH350 setup
you can have, engine hasn't been run in years, neither has the tranny, but
for the youth of America, you can have it if you're so inclined to
rebuild/refurbish and install it.

Mike