[oletrucks] 59 3200 ignition question

To: Old-Chevy-Truck <old-chevy-truck@egroups.com>,
Subject: [oletrucks] 59 3200 ignition question
From: Jonas Thaler <jonasthaler@jonasthaler.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:14:08 -0700
Greetings...

I have a 59 3200 pickup with a 235, three on the tree, a completely
stock pre-loved farm  truck.  It is about as original as it can be,
but I don't know exactly what happened when the previous owner had
the engine rebuilt.

I left the ignition turned on and boiled the coil this weekend trying
to make various engine adjustments (about which I will whine in a
future posting!)  In replacing the coil, I learned that from 60 on
these trucks were equipped with a resistance wire in the instrument
panel harness rather than an in-line resistor.  But I cannot find a
resistor anywhere in my engine compartment, nor any obvious place
where one used to be mounted.  (I am familiar with the little white
ceramic units from other vehicles.)  So I bought a high-performance
coil which is supposed not to need the external resistor.

Do the auto electric whizzes out there concur that I did the right
thing?

Thanks.  And thanks for all the fun reading; other people's truck
adventures is my favorite escape from work.

jt