RE: [oletrucks] Busted head bolt removal

To: "tim lloyd" <tim.lloyd@gmail.com>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Busted head bolt removal
From: "Mike Baggese" <passnb4u@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:36:00 -0700
Is it broke from over torque?  Or broke from being rusted into place?

You also want to know where that end of the bolt is, before you go drilling
through it...i/e if it goes into the oil, so will the metal shavings as you
punch though.

If broke from over toquing while tightening, then I'd suggest that you make
a few centering bushings that fit snugly in the head bolt hole to guide the
bit in.  A drill press will make them, a lathe would be best.  Drill each
bushing with the bit to be used to keep it snug and guide it well.

Problem with just going in freehanded is that most likely the bolt did not
make a nice and flat break, so it'd be difficult to keep the bit centered
without a guide.  You run the risk of a crooked hole and maybe catching
some block or head material.

Keep going to a larger bushing to fit a large bit to enlarge the hole.  You
want to go in as straight as possible.

Put a little grease on the end/side of the bity (not on the cutting edge)
and it'll catch as much shaving as possible.  Keep pulling it out to clean
and regrease as you go.

Mike