[oletrucks] storing brake parts

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] storing brake parts
From: "Tom Cooper" <tntcoop@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 18:07:25 -0400
I am rapidly running out of space. What is a good way to store
practically new brake parts? I was originally going to go stock with my
truck. However things and circumstances have changed and I have put a
sub frame under my truck. I have some original/remanufactured brake
parts for sale if someone wants them.

I have thought of a few options for storage.

I was going to leave everything on the front spindles and straight axel.
Also I was going to leave the rear brakes connected to the rear end. All
four corners would have the brake hub over them. I was going to put a
pallet up on cinder blocks. I would put the entire front straight axel
and rear end on the pallet and cover it with a tarp or thick plastic.,
that was one way

I also have a clean 55 gallon drum I was able to get from work, complete
with lid and lock. I was thinking of taking the entire backing plates
off the rear and entire spindles from the front and setting them in the
barrel. Maybe I'll spray some WD over everything. After thinking though,
if I took the backing plate off the rear housing, wouldn't the axel grea
leak out all over everything? Hummm, Maybe not a good idea.

Last idea was to take all four corners off the axel and rear housing and
separate them by rf, lf, lr, rr. Put the shoes, springs, retainers,
wheel cylinders, everything in appropriately marked backs and try to
find a shelf some place. Maybe my wife wouldn't notice them on her book
shelf,,,heheeh Then the front and rear axels could go on a pallet in the
side yard out of the way.

Thanks for all the help,  tom in sc