RE: [oletrucks] Tranny Troubles

To: ryan_border@yahoo.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Tranny Troubles
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:20:28 -0500
Ryan:
If you want to stay with an automatic, you may want to look-into a 2004R
(4-speed automatic with overdrive and lockup converter).  Not sure if this
model will handle a big block @ 450 HP but I know Buick used 2004R's in the
Grand National model in the late 80's and they were supercharged V6's that
really screamed.

I replaced my TH350 behind a small block Chevy engine with a 2004R I bought
from Phoenix Transmissions in Texas.  2 year/24,000 mile warranty and
included converter with shift cable that connected to the carb (no
electronics).  Only had to provide a 12v wire that was hot with ignition on
to power the lock-up feature on the trans.

Reason I chose the 2004R, was it is within 3/4 inch in length of the TH350
and has the same output splines (no driveshaft hassles).  Only had to move
the rear trans crossmember back about 4-6 inches (2004R has different
mounting location on tailshaft than the TH350).

I was impressed with the shipping, instructions, and customer support from
Phoenix.  Mine has operated for over 4 years and 12,000 miles with no
problems.

You may want to call Phoenix and see if they offer the 2004R for a big block
@ 450 HP.

Hope this helps, sorry to hear about your trans problems but my vote would
be to replace with another auto (could be almost same price after you buy a
clutch, pedal, linkage, etc.), and your time to put it all together.

Good Luck with whatever youd decide to do!

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside
Hopewell, IL