Re: [oletrucks] metal etch vs epoxy primer

To: "Craig Kruse" <cmkruse@hughes.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] metal etch vs epoxy primer
From: "James Hays" <thomasind@nventure.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 19:32:38 -0700
I've been told by a local professional paint outlet to use a two part epoxy
primmer on the bare metal, use body filler & again use epoxy primmer. Also
they confirmed that non-epoxy primers are porous allowing under primer metal
rusting or moisture absorption of the body filler that will surface (
bubble ) under your final paint. They also confirmed that two part epoxy
primmer was compatible with any paint.

I cleaned the metal - sealed the bare metal with two part epoxy primmer -
100 % thin layer body filler / block sand - sealed the surface with epoxy
primmer. Was told I could store in the rain with out a problem using epoxy
primmer. Sealing epoxy primmer was a non-sandable primmer ( very hard ) that
will require a coat of sandable primmer / block sanded prior to final paint.

I did use a metal cleaner, Por Metal Ready ( metal prep ) then the epoxy
primmer. So far great with original primmer almost a year old - stored in a
plastic ( not sealed ) enclosed carport in the Northwest.

Jim