[oletrucks] UPDATE: Runningboards

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] UPDATE: Runningboards
From: Alan Horvath <alan@alanhorvath.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 21:36:59 -0400
I talked to a guy on the phone today for like a half hour ... and,
holy runningboards, Batman!  This guy was REALLY into his game!  And
-- get this -- he talked me OUT of powdercoating.

This guy does work for the City of New York and has a sandblasting/
painting facility that will handle anything as large as 60-foot steel
beams and anything as small as carb parts and thin sheetmetal.  He
also does a lot of frame-up retorations on vintage vehicles.

His main beef against powdercoating is that, if you chip a spot, that
spot will start to rust and you can never get to the rust; it just
spreads forever.  He said, "NYC doesn't powdercoat their bridges for
a very good reason.  Did you ever see one of those big maintenance
trucks or big rigs that have bumpers or such frame-stuff that is
rotting to no end?  That's what happens with powdercoat because you
can't remove the powdercoat to ever get to the rust!  And
runningboards, on a daily driver, are gonna get a lot of chips from
stones, etc."

He went on to say that, after sandblasting, he uses a zinc (I think)
based primer that seals out rust and an epoxy paint that's tough as
nails -- "you have to do a good number of thin coats to get the
hardness."  Total cost should be about $300 - $350 per
runningboard ... but he needs work on his web site and I build web
sites for a living, so I may wind up doing a simple work-swap and get
my 'boards done for "nothing."  Can't beat that one, huh?

If you want to talk to this guy, his name is Eric and he has an 800-
number:
1.800.750.2527

Alan Horvath
http://AlanHorvath.com/54chevy