[oletrucks] primers

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] primers
From: K50Chevy@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 21:41:26 EDT
There is a lot out these days to use. Some things you want to consider ,
what you want it to look like, what your capabilities are, and what do you want

to spend. I am familiar with Dupont and Fiberglass evercoat because that is
what  we sell. If you are looking for something that will last and not cost a
fortune  there are lines out there. Fiberglass Evercoat makes it easy to do,
some people  like to put down epoxy primer before bondo, but I don't. I want
bondo stuck to  the metal, if you do to, you look for their products with the
"metalwork's" simbel That means that product has etching compounds to  adhere
bare metal, if you are going over primer with bondo, use the products  with
out that simbel, I also like their #704 catalyzed primer because you  can use
it
over bare metal or bondo, or old paint, it sands well and goes on  heavy, so
I can hide my lack of body work skills. Then seal it if you want, not
necessary with this primer, but a sealer gives added protection against bondo
"halos". Then you can topcoat with your choice of paint,single stage no clear
coat
needed, or base coat/ clear coat.
   On the high end, you can epoxy primer, bondo, epoxy primer,  then high
build primer, sand then sealer and paint. No matter what your choice  is, if
you
have time and patience you can make any thing look like something you  will be
proud of.  Sanding and buffing the final product when you are done  will make
it flat and shiny. There are lots of choices and lots of opinions, so  ask
questions and have patience.  Just my 2 cents, Bye  Ken