[oletrucks] Re: power steering pump

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: power steering pump
From: Keith Durand <kdurand@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 09:34:56 -0400
305 and 350 of the same year will be interchangeble, but beware of a few
things:

There was a changeover from Engligh to Metric around 1978. You'll need
the later fittings.

Also, I believe there was a switch from an axial to a radial A/C
compressor at the same time, which changed the system to a cycling
clutch/orifice tube setup. I hate those things...

The moral of this story is that the power steering pump and A/C bracket
are one piece, they bolt on to the exhaust manifold, and some (all?)
will not bolt onto headers. I ended up using a PS pump and A/C
compressor bracket off of a V6 in an early 80s Camaro. The A/C bracket
can clear the headers and attach to a header bolt with the addition of a
spacer. The GM designers ripped the whole thing right off a SBC, and all
the holes and belts line right up.

Disclaimer: I hope I got all this right. It's been 6 years since I put
the power steering pump on my truck.

Keith