Re: [oletrucks] 55 2nd Steering Column

To: "Ken Hardisty" <KLHardisty@hoshizaki.com>,<oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 55 2nd Steering Column
From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:46:46 -0500
Ken,
   Here's a link to an exploded view of the steering
box-  http://www.chevytrucks.org/temp/steering_box.jpg
I rebuilt mine 6-7 years ago and ain't much to it-just watch out for all
the little balls as new ones come with a rebuilt kit--any vendor is fine
but my personal favorite is http://www.classicparts.com/  formerly known as
Chevy Duty. The photo does show the tube separate from the box, but
couldn't get mine separated but in the same breath, didn't try that hard,
but if you're going to powder coat the shaft-why not include the box? You
can remove all the innards and have it coated, might want to tape over the
opening when the powder is applied as not to get on the inside. Adjustment
are to be made when it gets reassembled, our good friend Jim Forbes provide
this write to the tech section of chevytrucks.org domain at this link..
http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/steering_box_adjust.htm   Hope all this
helps but be sure to check out the drag link as a lot of play can be found
in a worn out one...   Good luck  --wayne