RE: [oletrucks] info plate quesiton again

To: tntcoop@earthlink.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] info plate quesiton again
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 08:44:10 -0500
Tom:
The plate between the driver's door hinges should be between 3 and 4 inches
square.  It is nothing more than an information plate from General
Motors/Chevrolet identifying the GVW (gross vehicle weight) and has an area
that could be stamped with the paint code for the vehicle.  You are right,
it is held in with two 'special' rivets about 5/16 inch in diameter.  These
plates are available as a repro item (along with the rivets).  I purchase
one some years ago, stamped my paint code on it and reinstalled it between
the door hinges.

The VIN number plate on the driver's door pillar (about mid-height on the
windshield) on my truck was/is spot-welded to the pillar and not easily
removed.  I'm not aware of any repros for this plate, but then agin I
haven't really looked for one.  The VIN number on mine is barely readable
(wasn't stamped very well), but I left it alone.

If you do decide to remove and replace or restamp and reinstall, I'd try to
make it look as 'original' as possible so you won't have to make a lot of
explanations to the DMV.  If you have good documentation (title history and
etc.), or can easily access and read the secondary VIN number (typically
stamped on the top frame rail on the driver's side about 8 inches back from
the radiator support mount), you should'nt have any problems.

Hope this helps.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup
Hopewell, IL