[oletrucks] VIN # more to the situation

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] VIN # more to the situation
From: "Tom Cooper" <tntcoop@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:00:44 -0400
First of all I would like to thank everyone for your input and
experiences and also your solutions. Let me explain a little more about
my situation. I have had this truck since 1977 or 1978 and I lived in
NC. I bought it from my dad and have it titled, tagged and licensed in
NC. I drove it for a few years and my wife and I drove off in it when we
were married in 1979.
http://www.coopscorner.com/55truck/55_in_79/55_in_79.htm I guess I could
have at least cleaned out the back before we got married...hehehe

Anyway in the early 80's it got wrecked, the front had some damage. I
bought a 1956 cab, no frame, just cab, doors, and hood. I took my truck
and that 56 cab to a couple friends to fix. They were doing the work at
a good deal, but they kept the truck for a few years. After getting it
back I couldn't get the engine to run and since I had another vehicle I
let the truck sit, bad mistake. After awhile I needed some money and
used my truck for collateral. They put a lien on the title also in NC.
When I looked at the title the other day I saw where the finance company
had released the title. Keep in mind the title stayed in my name, they
just held the title until I got it paid off. Ass I mentioned the finance
company did sign the title saying it was released.

I noticed the other day that the VIN # on the title is different than
the VIN # on the A pillar. I am not sure why that is because to my
knowledge my friends didn't change the entire cab, just the hood, a
fender and the hood. I can't check the title VIN against the frame VIN
because I have cut the old frame out and replaced with a Camaro front
end.

When I went to the SC DMV, because that is where I now live, to get it
transferred, the lady said I need to go to the NC DMV and talk to them.
Ok I said and off I went to the NC DMV and the lady said the title was
fine; it was signed as being released from the lien and it was ok. I
told her about the different VIN numbers and she didn't have a clue what
to do. She gave me a number to call in their enforcement dept. I called
them today and that guy said I may have to get a bonded title because it
is real close to being considered a custom build. He said I need the
titles from the Camaro, which I don't have because it was junk when I
got it. He said I need the title for the 56 cab, which I don't have
because it was sitting on saw horses in someone yard 25 years ago. It
was just the cab, no frame no bed. He said I need the title for the car
the motor and transmission came out od, which I do have because I owned
the car and junked it due to it being wrecked. Anyway, he wasn't very
nice and he sure wasn't telling me anything I wanted to hear. He said
after I get it built call his office and they could come out and get me
a title, he just didn't know what kind it would be. I asked him could he
get a title now because I don't want to sink a lot more money in this
truck knowing I don't yet have a clear title. He didn't care about that
and said no, not until I get it built.

Well, with all that being said, since the NC DMV said the title was
good, except for the VIN numbers, I may give the SC DMV another shot. I
am thinking about taking the title as it is and see if I can get it
transferred to SC from NC.
 I may ask the SC DMV what I can do about the VIN numbers. Do ya'll
think that is a good idea or should I see if I can get it transferred to
SC first? I hate dealing with the DMV.

Thanks folks for letting me vent and now ya know my situation. Sorry for
the long email.....Tom in SC scratching his head