Re: [oletrucks] VIN # more to the situation

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] VIN # more to the situation
From: Steven Stuckmeyer <slstusmc@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 19:09:01 -0700 (PDT)
I'd maybe try and go over the head of who ever you talked to at NC. I had
previous experiences with DMV from TN and AZ and it always seems like when
someone has a "title" or "badge" they think they are the man or women (in my
case). A while back I built a good CJ5 out of two and had both salvage titles
from both. I reinforced the frame after sand blasting. No vin's were on the
frame, I checked and checked out through numerous Jeep clubs and dealers that
some did not have a vin on the frame. When I went in, some DMV officer was
checking it out and told me I had to remove the plating I welded to the frame
because a vin may be there. She couldn't say one should be there, but one may.
"Okey, I redid the frame ...no vin's on it. She said that was that and wouldn't
title it. I requested her superior....after an hour I talked to him, and then I
requested his. After another hour and them making several phone calls they came
to the conclusion that that year CJ5 did not have a vin on
 the frame. She was pissed but signed it off. Another situation was a '55 chevy
with a 67 Chevelle Clip. I called prior to doing the work and was told if the
graft was a partial front frame all that was needed to title was a receipt from
who I bought the partial frame from. So after completion I went through the
same crap. But in the end after hours of "this is not acceptable" and up the
ladder to who actually knew the laws, it was titled. It is a hassle sometimes.
Good Luck
Steve Stuckmeyer
St Peters, MO

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.