FW: [oletrucks] 55 Gas Tank Location

To: <oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: FW: [oletrucks] 55 Gas Tank Location
From: "George Perez" <g.perez@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:45:53 -0400
For those of you who missed the first time.

  _____

  _____

The gas tank I used is a 1978 ford Bronco II 25.5 gallon tank. Bought it
on line from Discount gas tanks ( www.discountgastanks.com
<file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Sarah\My%20Documents\www.discountga
stanks.com> ) I also bought the straps from them. Gas tank part number:
Gas- F 9 AF9A
Straps part #: GAS- ST26 umber for gas tank#: GAS-F9A
Straps part #: GAS- ST26 as tank part #: GAS-F9AStraps part #: GAS- ST26

I got the sending unit from Bronco grave yard. (
http://broncograveyard.com <http://broncograveyard.com/> ). Just give them
a call they were very helpful and the part is new and good quality.

I do not know what gauges you are going to use, But I went with Chevy
Truck dash insert w/ Auto meter gauges Product ID: 13003-OB   from Bose
Engineering out of Tempe AZ.. Just call them and tell them you need the
fuel gage for a Ford sending unit. They too were very helpful and easy to
work with.( http://boeseengineering.com <http://boeseengineering.com/> )

Now if you do not want a side fill tank this is not going to work for you.
I plan on putting a fuel door in the back of the rear fender so I won't
spill gas on my new wood bed. A friend of mine did this on his truck and
it looks and works great, And it was not hard to do.

You are going to need to C- notch the frame and fabricate four brackets.
The brackets are easy to make, I just went to the hardware store and
picked up some steel strapping about the same width or a little wider then
the gas tank straps. I then cut 4 strips (about a 7 inches) and bent
(about 5 inches bent) them so the tank would fit right in the frame rails
and the gas tank filler neck would allow me a good C-notch location. Now
all you have to do is drill a few holes in the ends of the all the straps
so you can attach them to the frame and the gas tank straps.

You will also need to move the rear support bracket (frame cross member)
back one hole. First grind down the rivets and punch those out on both
sides top and bottom then slide the cross member back one bolt whole drill
a new hole for the other bolts and that's it. Your rear bumper Bracket
will fit just fine as well as the rear cross sill. The bed will have
plenty of clearance. I have pre fit everything and above modifications
should be all you have to do.

I' am going to forward this to the rest of the list etc, so they may
benefit as well from my experience on this project. I know the list will
not take attachments so for those of you who would like me to e-mail you
the photos send me your e-mail address.

George

1955 2nd

In Virginia