Re: [oletrucks] ps pulley removal and replacment

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] ps pulley removal and replacment
From: J Forbes <jforbnospam@selectric.org>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 08:03:21 -0700
> I have a Chevy power steering pump with the nut on the end of the shaft.
> I know I have to remove the nut and use a pulley puller to remove the
> pulley.
>
> My question is this; Do I need to take it and have it pressed on? Or can
> I put a large socket over the shaft and smack it with a hammer to get
> the pulley started on the shaft and then use the nut to press it on down
> onto the shaft? Will the puller also press the pulley back on some how?

Tom, the type with the nut should take very little force to remove and
install the pulley, so you should not need to be beating on it with a
big hammer.  The shaft is keyed.

The type without the nut is a tight press fit and requires the use of
the special puller/installer tool.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!