RE: [oletrucks] alternator cleaning

To: "Tom Cooper" <tntcoop@earthlink.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] alternator cleaning
From: Carl & Becky Ham <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:09:13 -0600
Tom:
If you're looking at just a standard alternator, you can buy one from a FLAPS
with a decent warranty for $60 or so.

If your looking for a 'dress-up' (chrome) unit you'll pay slightly more.

I used to rebuild alternators years ago, but no longer have all the necessary
tools and the price for rebuilt/reconditioned has come down quite a lot.
That's why I would recommend picking up a rebuilt one (you can turn in the old
one for a core and save a few bucks).

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup
Hopewell, IL

From: tntcoop@earthlink.netTo: the_hams@hotmail.com;
oletrucks@autox.team.netSubject: RE: [oletrucks] alternator cleaningDate: Sat,
19 Jan 2008 22:30:32 -0500

After looking closer at the alternator I noticed I could grab the pulley and
move the shaft back and forth, not much, but more than I think it should move.
It is a used alternator and I did have it checked but I dont think the shaft
should move back and forth. Since it works, I cleaned it up with a wire brush
on my drill. I may try to get new bearings and brushes for this one. Or
probably get a new one later on down the road.Any advice on rebuilding one, or
would I be better off biting the bullet and get a new one?
                        Thanks
                        Tom in SC

Tom:I suggest you go to Eastwood's web site and do some research there.  I
know that they sell products (paints, finishes, and etc.) that can be used to
restore to the OE finish.  I also think they have a tech section on the same
web site that could be helpful in identifying whether you need to disassemble
the alternator to do this type of work. Good luck and please post back to the
list what you found out and how you decided to do this work.  Information like
what you are doing could be archived in the oletrucks tech section to help
others with the same question in the future. Carl Ham'56 Chevy Stepside
PickupHopewell, IL