[oletrucks] Re: Park Lamps

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Park Lamps
From: Leon Corley <lcorley@dot11net.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 17:35:33 -0600
Rick,
Here's my take on it.
I suspect that is normal operation for your 58 panel.

The park lamps are wired separately to give you the capability to have
some lights on to show others where the car is without having the
high-current headlights run the battery down.
This lets you safely park the car on the side of the road while you
answer the call of nature or whatever.
Up until the 1966 model year, most vehicles turned off the park lamps
when the headlights were on.

Beginning in 1966 the federal code required that the park lamps be
illuminated also.
This allowed oncoming traffic to see where the side of your vehicle was
when you had a burned-out headlamp.
So the  light post-65 switch positions are off, park, and park + headlamps

I personally buy into this rationale and have always rewired my vehicles
to illuminate the park lamps along with the headlamps in the headlight
position of the switch.

regards,
Leon